student government association
the student government association shall act as an organized voice for all students of the hinds community college, to effectively represent students in the college decision and policy making process and to provide a broad educational experience for students, while promoting citizenship on campus and in the greater community. in doing so, sga knowingly and responsibly recognizes the students’ roles in the shared governance of the intuition.
want to be a student leader?
the members of the student government association are dedicated to: staying aware of the general concerns of the student body; serving as a channel of communication between the student body, faculty and administration; establishing and executing programs and projects beneficial to the student body, and promoting and improving relations between the campus community and the student body. the voice of the student body.
what are the benefits of joining sga?
- to influence decisions to improve campus experiences and opportunities
- to give your opinion on changes you would like to see or help implement on campus
- to participate in community service projects on and off campus
- to enhance personal and group leadership skills
the student government association is composed of delegates from each campus senate in which this body meets four times a year and made up of the current presidents and vice presidents.
qualifications for sga senators
- must be a full-time student at hinds community college
- must maintain a cumulative gpa of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- must represent a club or organization or commuters on your campus
- must maintain a record with no student conduct actions
sga standing committees
community service committee (s.e.r.v.e.)
the duties of the committee members will be to plan and coordinate community service events for the sga class on and outside of campus. members of this committee are to encourage all senators to be involved in their community and these projects.
- salvation army
- breast cancer walk
- working with area special need children
- volunteering at area elementary schools
student activities committee (s.a.c.)
the duties of the committee members consist of the programming portion of the student government association. sac provides social, recreational, and cultural activities to enhance student life on campus. this includes the setting up and taking down of any activities/events as needed by the director.
- homecoming week activities
- student appreciation week activities
- alcohol and drug awareness week activities
traffic behavior appeals committee
the duties of the committee members will be to hear student appeals on parking citations and to make a ruling based on the rules and regulations in the student handbook. this committee may also be used to identify and study and traffic/behavior problems that may be occurring on campus.